Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2021, 09:52:16 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:
Shanky Technologies: The poker bot that works!

Shanky Technologies Poker Bot Support Forum  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (Moderator: sngbot)  |  Topic: Dmans Security Update Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dmans Security Update Thread  (Read 25041 times)
Egor
Forum Admin
Extreme Botter

« on: November 03, 2010, 06:57:37 AM »

From member: Dman migrated from the old forum.

This thread is to try and increase the general level of online security of the members here at shanky by providing acces to free tools, add ons and tips that will help keep you safe online.

Anti Virus software

Below are links to free, trusted and good quality AV software, please check them out and if you dont have one installed, get one.

http://www.avira.com

http://www.avg.com

http://www.avast.com

Now there are others, most of which arent free, however the above are all good AV's and all have a free version (Avira and AVG's are very good)

Anti Malware / Spyware

Now an anti Malware scanner is also needed as most AV scanners will miss a lot of if not all spyware infections, again a few are listed below.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Again there are others, however the above are pretty solid.

Firewalls

an often over looked and pretty vital area of protection. Windows firewall isnt worth having, its awful, some better and free alternatives are listed below -

www.zonealarm.com

www.personalfirewall.comodo.com

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/

Out of the above most would go for zone alarm however i do like comodos personally.

I use a dedicated hardware firewall but for most people this is overkill and is prohibitively expensive also so i wont go into the depths of detail here, one of the above would be adequate and represent far better value for the average user.

The Usual Suspects

Now its all well and good trying to prevent infection, however without Common sense theres little any tool, paid or free can do to help you, Try to avoid the following -

Torrent Sites

My personal pet hate and actually one of the leading reasons for spyware ending up on your system in the first place. A lot of the files you look for on these sites in order to save a few dollars are often either binded with some kind of malicious software or are simply malicious software labeled as something else.

"But i have AV ect" - This often wont save you. Usually on first release the malware or virus will be undetectable, rendering you only line of defense impotent.

Moral of the story guys is dont use these sites, they are more hassle than they are useful.

Malicious Sites

This covers such things as sites promising hidden riches and information ect ect, you im sure have received emails from people like this. Avoid any sites you are linked to in such circumstances, nothing good can come of it.

Also avoid sites that offer crack or software cheating downloads, such sites are often infected and may also be running malicious code your not even aware of, take care with this.

Keep Up to Date

Keep your Operating System (OS) fully up to date in terms of service packs and security updates, a weak link in the chain here can allow potential attackers an easy route in.

Also be sure to keep things such as flash player and java updated as well, exploits are often found and patched so keep auto update turned on.

Browser Choice

Internet Explorer isnt the safest browser around, Consider swapping to Firefox or Opera, Others such as Chrome or safari are also an option. I suggest firefox and have recommended a few security based add ons for firefox below -

Keyscrambler - The free version encrypts the data you input into your web browser from keyloggers and such, its a very useful and functional tool.

No Scripts - Disables the running of scripts/code when you visit a web page, you will e prompted that a script wishes to run, if you know and trust the site you can add it to the safe list, if not you can block the detected script. This add on prevents XSS issues and goes a long way to greatly improving you safety when browsing.

Better Privacy / Privacy+ - Removes and also blocks flash cookies from being installed on your PC, You may think when you delete your cookies from the browser they are gone right? Wrong, Some cookies may remain even if not seen, these flash/ LSO cookies are used by certain sites to track your long term browsing habbits, the security issues here, especially for us botters are prettyobvious, however it is a general invasion of privacy in my opinion and something we should have control over.

WOT (Web Of Trust) - Basically an updated list of known "bad" sites, you will be given a visual warning if you are about to visit a page that may have problems, you are free to decide whether or not you wish to continue, Pretty useful for general browsing.

Keep It Clean

Allowing your PC to build up lots of junk files and data on browsing habbits ect not only slows the PC down but it is also a privacy risk, run a weekly scan with one of the following free tools to keep everything running smooth and any personal data away from prying eyes -

ATF Cleaner

http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

CCleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Password Protection

Sounds simple and obvious, however its quite often the case that weak passwords are still used. When creating a password try and use a mixture of letters, Numbers and also special characters (@#$%^ ect) while this will help safe guard your password from getting bruteforced, also try using a non dictionary word or phrase as your password.

Keep your password strictly private and dont keep passwords stored on your PC unless they are in a secure container.

Sensitive Data

The storage of sensitive data is not something that should be overlooked these days, For any sensitive material you should look into creating a encrypted container or "vault" this will keep your data safe from prying eyes even if your PC should get compromised. You can also protect your data on external sources such as USB flash drives ect.

Two options for you here, both are free and the 2 i have mentioned are the best around, paid or free. TrueCrypt is my favourite but both are excellent softwares.

TrueCrypt

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

CryptainerLE

http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainer_le_download_center.htm

Router Security

Connection jacking is a problem many people have and most probably are unaware! The problem lies in non secured connections which allows others to use your internet.

Use a strong protection protocol such as WPA or preferably WPA2, however even WEP is better than nothing at all, You can check/change your settings from within your router its self.

This may seem daunting but a quick check on your routers manufactorers website will yeild the steps you need to take in a step by step manner,

Wireless Security

Anyone who uses wireless to connect their machines to the internet should look into getting an encrypted VPN service in order to better protect the data that is transfered.

There are free services that you can use for general browsing such as -

Hotspot shield

http://hotspotshield.com/

However for botting this isnt a viable or safe option as the IP's on free services are usually recycled and may have been used before. For botting your better off with a dedicated service. There are a few options but PM me for that information as i dont want to paste it all over the forums in case of prying outside eyes.

As i said at the start, the best line of defense is common sense, the steps above should help the great majority of you secure your systems at least a little better.

If anyone is stuck or unsure just drop me a PM and ill be more than happy to help you get going.

Thanks

Dman

Please do not PM me about license issues or help stuff - email me or use the Help board. Thanks! -Egor
Dman
Extreme Botter

Supernova Elite

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »

Thanks for moving this over to the new forum, as on the old forum, anyone in need of my help please get in touch.

Dman

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
Zsobot
Serious Botter

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:28:30 PM »

and what is the best program to prevent my pc from the poker client scanning?
Dman
Extreme Botter

Supernova Elite

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:09:45 AM »

Its a hard one to defend against effectively, Snoop free is very old now and isnt updated, there is an add on that comes with comodo firewall (called protection+ i think) that performs a similar job, look into that. Its not free though.

Some firewalls will also try and block certain actions but some will go unseen, check my top post and see if anything there can help at all.

Thanks

Dman

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
bot11
Confused Newbie

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »

dman what vpn services do you recommend ?
Damijo
Botter

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »

Thank you dman for a very very wellmade thread.
I followed it top down and installed the free applications
you recomended, they work very good!

The addon to firefox that encrypts input from your keyboard
is really really something nice to have, today with so many undetected remote access terminals e everywhere..

anyways, thanks alot! really appreciate it!

Damijo

You can have anything you want if you are willing to give up the belief that you can't have it.
Dman
Extreme Botter

Supernova Elite

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

dman what vpn services do you recommend ?

strongvpn is a good provider. Member eddymoney also has a VPN service, check out both and see what suits you best.

Thank you dman for a very very wellmade thread.
I followed it top down and installed the free applications
you recomended, they work very good!

The addon to firefox that encrypts input from your keyboard
is really really something nice to have, today with so many undetected remote access terminals e everywhere..

anyways, thanks alot! really appreciate it!

Damijo

Thanks, glad you found it useful.

Dman

bbuser
Serious Botter

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »

DMAN, please recommend a few other good providers, we don't all want to be on the same servers.

I know StrongVPN uses dynamic IP's rather than dedicated, and the pool isn't very large. They do have a lot of servers, but its pretty likely some of us will inadvertently end up on the same server.

That said, StrongVPN is great. Good rates, helpful staff.

I have a referral link if anyone is planning on signing up. PM me. I could use some credits.

Zsobot
Serious Botter

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 02:30:45 AM »

I've made some research and the result: AVG + Comodo firewall are the best together.
tight_fish
Experienced Botter

All you need is a chip and a chair.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »

Very nice contribution

bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown Dman thanks

Profile for sale: http://bonusbots.com/support/index.php?topic=2482.0
tight_fish
EKIN
Super Botter
Serious Botter

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

good stuff man
abbott
Confused Newbie

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »

Anyone use Kaspersky Pure? and if so, what do you think
Dman
Extreme Botter

Supernova Elite

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

Anyone use Kaspersky Pure? and if so, what do you think

I believe i had a copy of this sent for review. Its sort of a security package as opposed to the traditional AV suite.

Contains the usual malware protection as well as other features such as secure file deletion, Encryption, back up and password management. Its also lighter on resources if i remember correctly.

For botters it certainly ticks a few boxes but at £50 a year for a single PC license isnt cheap though.

Dman
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:44:18 PM by Dman » Logged

abbott
Confused Newbie

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

thanks Dman for your quick response,I had a few nasty bugs that it took care of immediately when nothing else did, in fact it flagged a whole site (thankfully none that Shanky supports)
Paddy
Botter

call, and its all over

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

some of them freeare?
Dman
Extreme Botter

Supernova Elite

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »

some of them freeare?

I think everything i posted up is free, i did it that way so security was more accessible for everyone.

Dman

tobius
Botter

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 01:02:04 AM »

My System:

Anti Virus:      Kaspersky Internet Security
Firewall:         Windows (i think)
Anti Malware:  Nothing

That means i should run additionaly an Anti Malware software and a better Firewall.

Do i have to disable the Windows Firewall by installing another (better) Firewall or is this an additional security?
Do they conflict each other or can i run ONE Anti Virus software, ONE Anti Malware software and ONE Firewall at the same time?

thanks
tweaks
Confident Newbie

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

Kaspersky Internet Security is also youre firewall & Anti Malware.

So that is enough  thumbsup
tobius
Botter

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »

ok  thanks
Haifa
Confused Newbie

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

Hi all,

How about Norton 360?
Think it covers and does everything about PC security...

Ndjili
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Shanky Technologies Poker Bot Support Forum  |  General Category  |  Discussion Board (Moderator: sngbot)  |  Topic: Dmans Security Update Thread
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length