Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 24, 2019, 11:50:06 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

Shanky Technologies Poker Bot Support Forum  |  General Category  |  Gambling Theory (Moderator: sngbot)  |  Topic: Bot strategy needs to evolve over time? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bot strategy needs to evolve over time?  (Read 3549 times)
darkdude
Botter

Shanky Bonus Bots Rock!

« on: July 07, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

I have read that a bot created a couple of years ago that may have been profitable at one site, may no longer be profitable at the same site 1 - 2 years later and that the code needs to evolve.  I struggle with that thinking as if you take a poker network such as iPoker and the 1000s of people there (including many fish), you have people leaving and new people coming in.  Do poker strategies need to evolve?  As people get to learn how you play, it can be true that they can adapt to your strategy, but at sites like iPoker there are soo many people, how can they ever remember playing against you?  And even if they could, new people are always coming into the network who don't know you or your bot strategy, so they are open game.

So let me ask those out there, do you believe a bot could be profitable one year only to not be a second year (excluding variance)?  I don't think that is possible, but would like to hear people's thoughts on this
Egor
Forum Admin
Extreme Botter

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »

Popular game strategy evolves - most people learn how to play somewhere; books, websites, TV, etc, and the strategies being taught evolve over the years

profitable poker is a moving target - used to be any TAG player could sit in games as high as NL200 and make steady money

Please do not PM me about license issues or help stuff - email me or use the Help board. Thanks! -Egor
greenpoker44
Experienced Botter

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »

Popular game strategy evolves - most people learn how to play somewhere; books, websites, TV, etc, and the strategies being taught evolve over the years

profitable poker is a moving target - used to be any TAG player could sit in games as high as NL200 and make steady money

True. A friend of mine made a very good profit playing cash games on the side for over seven years. He made $90K one year. Not bad, considering he had a full-time job and poker was his "side job." He was a well-respected cash player at the two poker rooms in my area, with many poker friends. However, he had problems with his wife and took about a year off from playing to patch things up. Being out, playing poker all the time, was part of the problem. He tried playing a few times recently and says he "lost" a lot of the feel he had for the game and just cannot play the way he used to, and people are playing differently. He has always said that the best time for "good players" to play cash games was years ago, when there were plenty of fish. Now  there are a lot of good players out there. Due to stiffer competition, and losing his feel for the game due to inactivity, he has basically lost interest and has given up on playing. However, I'd say it was a good run to be able to finance your house purchase, remodeling, new cars, all from poker cash.

Regards,
Greenpoker44
sharkfisher
Confident Newbie

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »

then it was never good in the first place, poker is a math formula it does not change

All In
Efu
Extreme Botter

the shanky breadandbuterland

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »

then it was never good in the first place, poker is a math formula it does not change

Huh? Huh? Huh?

villani change  beer

Egor
Forum Admin
Extreme Botter

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »

poker is a math formula it does not change

Nothing could be further from the truth -- when Party Poker first came out I could make $100 per night easy in a $50-max game by simply playing a nitty-TAG style game at 6-max. Winning at that game today requires a smart LAG approach (not just any LAG approach).

Please do not PM me about license issues or help stuff - email me or use the Help board. Thanks! -Egor
Pages: [1] Print 
Shanky Technologies Poker Bot Support Forum  |  General Category  |  Gambling Theory (Moderator: sngbot)  |  Topic: Bot strategy needs to evolve over time?
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length